07 October 2008

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Not sure why I'm quoting Frost in the title. It's sort of appropriate, since I have to pack and other things before bed, but I guess I just felt like it.

Hold on, this may be wordy, as a lot of stuff has happened in a short time, and I haven't channeled it in a while.

First off, let me just get this one out there: Amanda called again. She hasn't tried to contact me in months, probably since February. I don't understand what brought the sudden onset of her trying to get a hold of me, but there it is. I didn't actually talk to her. I got a voice mail. In it she was part sounding like she'd moved on, but then clearly was looking for my approval, or at least my acknowledgment, or something. I just don't understand why she can't let go. And it's not like it's been easy being single, but dating her was the worst decision I've ever made for myself, and I'll never willingly put myself back there. In the voice mail, she said she'd call back, and I'm not sure if I should answer next time, and share some explicit words with her, or if I should maintain the silence. I just wish I could get her to stop calling me. I don't want her, or even memory of her if I can help it, in my life any more.

Great Escape was awesome. Actually, the aforementioned happening sort of came at the perfect time: before the weekend instead of after. I probably would not have gone to class at all if she had called me when I got back from the weekend. But I'm rambling about her again. The topic for the retreat was John 4, which is the woman at the well. The speaker turned that into thirsting for God, and it was really cool. I don't have a lot of eloquent words for it, so I won't even try at this point. I will say that while I'm physically still recuperating, spiritually it was incredibly restful.

Oh, and the case of the missing dishes was solved! They were "found" back in the original packaging. Even the little cardboard dividers were in place, meaning the plates and bowls were all put back meticulously and with the utmost care. Now, I really don't want to speculate, but unless dish gnomes are rearranging our house, it seems the roommate who shall not be named is being incredibly pathetic and passive-aggressive. I can't wait until he actually moves out. All in all, however, this was really funny. Any frustration I'd normally be feeling right now pretty much went into laughter when I heard where the dishes were.

I'm flying to Tennessee tomorrow for the wedding. This particular one is Adam & Tina's. I'm so excited for them! There couldn't be a more deserving guy, and I'm just glad I can be a part of it. Though, I'm going to be in Chicago O'Hare for approximately 3 hours. Which is cool, because I've never seen that airport, and I'll really get to explore it. On the other hand, it's 3 hours in an airport. Good thing I recently took up Wheel of Time. These books make Tolkien look like a beginner's primer, at least lengthwise. I'm currently on book 4, The Shadow Rising, and it's really good. It was a very slow opener, in that it didn't start catching my interest until about page 400 or so, but I must say I'm enjoying it now. The plot of the series is very involved, but not convoluted (at least not yet), and it's something to keep me going for a while.

Anyway, wow. That was a rabbit trail, if ever I saw one. I'm so glad to be hanging out with some people I haven't seen in a while, and especially to be there for Adam & Tina's big day! I just hope the flights go ok. I'm not the best on planes, or in packed cars, or in not packed cars, or vehicles in general unless I'm driving. Not that I'm the best driver, I just get anxiety when I'm stuffed inside various modes of transportation.

I'm trying to think of closing remarks, but I'm at a loss, so I'm going to leave you with some Mewithoutyou lyrics:

"Why this safe distance, this curious look? Why tear out single pages when you can throw away the book? Why pluck one string when you can strum the guitar? Take down a guitar and strum the guitar, strum the guitar if you're afraid, and I'm afraid, and everyone's afraid! And everyone knows it. But we don't have to be afraid anymore."

3 comments:

Hat said...

You should maybe change your number... Just a thought.

Anyhow, have an awesome trip! You'll be fine in the plane, I'm sure.. And I might have to buy you guys some kind of lawn gnome, hehehe.

Marcus said...

Idunno. I just don't feel like I should have to rearrange my life just because of one crazy girl.

Hat said...

No, you shouldn't, but keeping yourself "safe" (for complete lack of a better word coming to mind) isn't a bad thing.