15 January 2010

First Post of 2010!

Let me just get the apologies for not posting for a while out of the way. I know it's been a while. So, sorry adoring Internet.

Ok, so for my first post in a while, I bring you, not a beer review, but rather a song review. But first, I want to try something different. I'm going (assuming I remember) to start off each post henceforth with a sort of 'status' of what media I'm taking in. Often, these books and pieces of music will have bearing on the topic, or at least my mood while writing the post. And hey, if I turn someone on to good books & music, that's practically a service, right? A free one, at that!

Ok, here goes:

Currently
Reading: The Smell of Sin and the Fresh Air of Grace - Don Everts
Listening to: It's All Crazy! It's All False! It's All A Dream! It's Alright. - mewithoutYou

Ok, so as I mentioned before, the music & books may sometimes actually have bearing on the topic at hand. In this case, it's a song from the cd, called 'A Stick, A Carrot & A String.' To put it frankly, this song paints one of the most beautiful pictures of Jesus I think I've ever seen. So far, I've cried every time I've heard it, and I can't even say that about most songs in the 'worship' genre today. The lyrics are quite long (though well worth it), so I won't bother writing them all down here, but they should most definitely be checked out. I will post one of the more moving parts:

The night was cool and clear as glass with a sneaking snake in the garden grass
Deep cried out to deep, the disciples fast asleep
The snake perked up when he heard you ask, "If You're willing that this cup might pass,
I could find my way back home, maybe start a family all our own."
But does not the Father guide the Son?
"Not my will, but Yours be done!
What else here to do? What else me, but You?"

I won't go on forever about this, but this image we see, of Jesus wanting to give up this unbearable calling, and yet still, his humility brings him to the response, "What else me, but You?" God, I wish I could have the humility to say that to the Father when He brings something to me that I don't want to do! Which seems like a lot of the time.

That's all, for now. Hopefully there will be more frequent musing of life, love, beer and music from now on.

5 comments:

Hat said...

Yay, you're back.

I'd like to see more of what you're reading/listening to and your thoughts on them. mewithoutYou's newer album is really something else. That song IS from the new album, right?

Heydon Hensley, LCSW said...

Glad you're back. Nice post. I'll have to check mewithoutYou out.

Marcus said...

Hat,

Yeah, it's from the new one. Have you heard the whole thing? You should definitely check it out.

Heydon, you too! :D

NMT InterVarsity Christian Fellowship said...

Oh hai Marcus!

-Sincerely NMT IV

知道 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.