16 June 2009

New Things

Ok, so I've given it some thought, and I think I want to take the blog in a slightly newer direction. I'm talking, of course, of reviewing beer. Now, I'm no expert, so this will most likely be me sharing my insights on the beers I try as I broaden my horizons.

Not to worry, if you've grown to be a fan of the whiny, emo, high-school-girl syndrome blog. There will still be a place for that. In fact, this will still be primarily that. But I figured, since I'm writing online, I may as well write something I enjoy, and something I know a little about (albeit, not much, but that's why I'm doing this!)

I'm not sure what form this will take, be it a weekly thing, a monthly thing, or what. For now, I'm not going to give it that form. I'll explore the freedom of irregular updates and whatnot. This won't be just for new things I've tried, as I've been doing this for about 2 years now. Rest assured, you'll hear plenty about some of my favorites.

And this new adventure is also not limited to beer. If ever I try something new that I like, or dislike, or if I just really enjoy something to the point that I have to mention it, it'll be here. I hope you enjoy.

This post, I'm going to be talking about something I just recently tried: Kelly's Brew Pub Oatmeal Stout. If you're not in the ABQ area, Kelly's is a local brewery/burger joint in the Nob Hill/UNM area. You can even brew your own beer there. Anyway, last Saturday was my first time eating there, and despite the at times slow service, my experience was a pleasant one.

When the beer was brought, the dark stout started making me thirsty to try it. The aroma was rich and full. The flavor, smooth and malty, almost sweet. From the moment I started sipping, to the bottom of the pint, I was thoroughly pleased. I even finished the rest of my cousin's (she's a bit of a lightweight :D ). All in all, I really enjoyed trying their oatmeal stout and will be back again to try the many different brews available.

Ok, so I know my descriptions are a bit weak, but I'm just going to give it a go. What do you think? Have you tried it? What beers do you like? Any suggestions on what I should try for my next post on the subject?

"Go on, take the money and run"

4 comments:

Nagrom said...

All you need to know: http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/01-05/0105-beer-snobbery.htm

Never tried this stuff, but it sounds tasty. I do like Oatmeal Stouts.
Mmm... beer.
I've given some thought myself to writing up some beer and smokes reviews. Might have to do that sometime.

Marcus said...

Morgan, that article was great.

And I make no claims of expertise. I just know what I like, and want to share that with others who are willing to listen.

Nagrom said...

Modern Drunkard is awesome. Unless you take them literally... dear heavens.

I'm the same - Its like the fella who said I may not know art, but I know what I like.
I may not know beer/whiskey/scotch, but I know what I like.
I also tend to like that kind of reviewer as well.

Hat said...

Hurray! I shall look very much forward to your reviews. I think I'd look forward more to sampling the drinks with you, too.

Speaking of drinks, and scotch at that- the 16 year old Glenlivet Nadurra is quite the tasty sip.